Smoke On The Bricks 2023

Copy of Smoke on the Bricks 2023 FB Cover (1)

Get ready for the 5th annual Smoke on the Bricks BBQ contest in 2023, powered by Rice Precision Manufacturing!  Mark your calendars for August 25th-26th for a weekend you won’t forget.  This Kansas City Barbecue Society sanctioned competition is a qualifying event for the American Royal World Series of Barbecue and the Jack Daniels World Championship for 2023. 

Smoke on the Bricks in 2023 is a Smokin' With Smithfield grant recipient for the 2nd time in 3 years.  In addition, get ready for one of the best Def Leppard tribute bands in the country taking the stage Friday night!  Come hungry and ready to party for the 5th Anniversary of Smoke on the Bricks!  Can Slaps BBQ become the first ever repeat champion?  Will Smokin' Timbers or Gettin' Basted, reserve grand champs and third place finishers from 2022, take the title?  Will a new team be crowned Smoke on the Bricks Champion?  Be here to find out!         

BBQ teams can check in Friday morning beginning at 9:00 a.m.  Friday evening the general public is welcome to come out and hang with their friends and families for the evening beginning at 4:00 p.m.  Live music will begin at 6:00 p.m., the beer garden will open at 4:00 p.m. and be sure to purchase your BBQ Bucks to sample world class BBQ Friday evening.  Be sure to check back often as we will be adding more activities to the lineup for Friday and Saturday. 


Formal BBQ judging will begin on Saturday in the categories of chicken, ribs, pork and brisket.  We will also be offering sausage and dessert categories again as well. Top 10 overall as well as top 10 in each category will win prize money, top 3 for each sausage and dessert. Total purse currently sits at $13,000.

BBQ Bucks

Teams that register for Smoke on the Bricks have the option to participate in the Taste of Baldwin City.  This event runs from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Friday night. The general public comes out in droves to purchase BBQ Bucks and sample anything teams are willing to sell.  Teams may set their own menu and set their own pricing.  The only requirement is that teams only take BBQ Bucks for payment.  The general public will purchase BBQ Bucks from the Baldwin City Recreation Commission and then in turn, purchase food from participating teams.  All BBQ Bucks will be turned in on Saturday morning, August 26th, counted and the winner of the Taste of Baldwin City will be announced at the awards ceremony Saturday afternoon.  Teams will receive a check for 90% of the BBQ Bucks they collect and portion of the remaining 10% will be donated and some will be put back into Smoke on the Bricks.  

BBQ Bucks will go on sale to the general public beginning Monday, August 21st through Friday, August 25th at the Baldwin City Recreation Commission Office (705 High Street).  Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday. Friday beginning at 4:00 p.m. BBQ Bucks will be sold at the Dance Academy (711 High Street) in downtown Baldwin. Teams will not take cash for BBQ, they will only take BBQ Bucks, so be sure to pick yours up! Teams will sell BBQ between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. BBQ Bucks will be sold until the food runs out. Leftover BBQ Bucks from 2022? Use them in 2023!  A portion of the 2023 revenues will be donated to the Baldwin Education Foundation.

Overall Purse Breakdown

PlacePurse Amount

Individual Meat Category Purse Breakdown

PlacePurse Amount

Sausage & Dessert Purse Breakdown

PlacePurse Amount